Saturday, July 19, 2008

Exciting Afternoon....

It started after I set up our GPS to take me to my DD friend's house to pick up some homeschooling stuff she no longer needs which she's passing on to Erica. The woman only lives about 45 minutes from here. She gave me directions, which I could have easily followed, but nooooo - I wanted to take "Emma" (that's the name Dawn & I gave to the woman on the GPS who gives the directions because she has an English accent and Dawn said Emma is an English name).

I put in my destination, turned on my book on CD which I'm listening to (The Glass Castle), and started on my way. I'm driving and driving and driving without a word from Emma. When I finally got to a place that I knew was wayyyyyy beyond where I was going, I pulled into a parking lot, tried calling the woman whose house I was going to with not answer, reprogrammed Emma and again continued on my way. Then I realized, she had been talking all along; I just couldn't hear her with the CD playing! Emma got me to the street I needed to be on, but there was no house # that matched. I asked a man who was working in his yard and again, wrong neighborhood!

Anyway, I decided I better call the woman I was suppose to see (it's already been over an hour when I should have been at her house). Turns out, she didn't live on Brentwood Drive, but Bentwood Drive! I looked at the paper I had originally written her directions on and sure enough it said Bentwood. For some reason, I saw "Brentwood" when I looked at it before leaving home! When I got that straightened out, Emma took me right to her house with no more problems in five minutes.

After that, I programmed Emma to go to Florence. I wanted to see the building site that the Homes for Our Troops is building for Andrew & Sara Robinson. Here are some pics I took:







The house with exterior work almost done - in three days.

They finally finished later in the afternoon.



Andrew & Sara with their 3 week old nephew.




The last piece!!!

The man in blue in the center is Andrew's father, Bill.

I went there thinking maybe I could help, but they had everything under control and didn't need me so I just visited for awhile until after the house finishing "ceremony" which was quite touching. They had laid down wooden planks from the road to the garage for Andrew's wheelchair. After the flag was raised and the last piece was nailed, everyone sang The National Anthem and "God Bless America". I noticed several men wiping their eyes. Andrew & Sara went up the ramp into the garage of what will be in September, their new home.


Now the interior work has to be finished and the landscaping. It's hard to imagine how much got done in just three days without seeing it! It's sort of like a shortened version of Extreme Home Makeover!


It was very hot out there today. All the men and women who worked on the house are to be commended for all their hard work and willing labor in that heat! Yes, there were women out there right along with the men, including a couple from our church!


After all this, it was time to eat!! But, that's when I made my exit. I figured I hadn't done anything so there wasn't any reason for me to stay.



Thanks, again, to Dawn for helping me figure out how to put pics into my post. I can see I'm going crazy with adding them already! Just hope I remember for the next time!


For those of you from the Book Bugs who might read this, here's a picture of one of our "Bugs"....


Until next time....
God bless,
Linda

6 comments:

Dawn said...

I really enjoy reading your stories. How neat to see the site of Andrews, new home. Is that Carole??

Chris said...

That's a touching story. I wasn't aware people were building homes for our wounded soldiers. It's nice to hear about the good things people are doing. Oh, and I like the name Emma for the GPS. They do sound British, don't they?

Vintage Papers said...

this is so heartwarming! thank you for sharing this story and making me cry this morning! :) God Bless Our Troops!

Sandy said...

What a fantastic story! Thanks so much for sharing.

And great job on getting the blog looking so sharp! :)

Anonymous said...

I love this story. How neat that one of our injured soldiers gets a new home. Does it get any better than this. Thanks for sharing this touching story. Glinda

Martha said...

The house is amazing! I had never heard of Homes for Our Troops before. That is a wonderful project. Thanks for sharing all the pictures too.

Say Hi to Emma for me ;-)
Martha