Thursday, July 17, 2008

Today's Good News Stories

One of my best and oldest (not in age) friends became a grandmother for the second time this morning. What makes this such wonderful news is that her daughter, who has been married about 13 years, was told she could never have a child. Anyway, about four months ago my friend, Marian, called me to say she was gonna be a grandmother again. I congratulated her, assuming it was her DIL who was pregnant. When she told me, no, it was her daughter I started crying. What a miracle!

I know if you're counting you are wondering how, if it's only been four months, she can have a baby already but she was five months pregnant and had no clue!!! They have a beautiful baby boy! So now Marian and her DH have a granddaughter and a grandson to love! What makes it even nicer is that her daughter and SIL only live a few miles from here while their son and his family live about 2 hours. I can't wait to see Shane Patrick!!


Today begins the construction of the home for one of our fighting men who was seriously injured in Iraq two years ago.

Andrew Robinson is the son of our friends, Bill & Carole. He was on a mission in Iraq when his Marine convoy was bombed. Three of his men were killed and another injured. Andrew sustained compound fractures to his lower legs, collapsed lungs, and a fractured vertebra that has left him paralyzed from the chest down with partial paralysis of his arms.

Homes for Our Troops is building Andrew and his wife a home here in NJ not far from their parents homes. It is comparable to Extreme Home Makeover where they build a whole house in a small amount of time with the help of hundreds of volunteers from around the country.

Carole was put in charge of providing meals for the workers today so she, of course, turned to our church and friends. She designated today as pasta day so many of us made pasta dishes. I made speghetti & meatballs and macaroni & cheese along with a loaf of bread. I dropped it off at her house this morning but she and Bill were already gone to the site so I didn't get to talk with her. Tomorrow and Saturday different restaurants and stores are providing the food. I'm hoping to get to the site on Saturday to do what I can to help.


In other news for the day I went this afternoon with some of the women from work to see the play "Chicago", starring John Davidson. I've never seen the movie nor the Broadway show so had no clue what it was about. It was pretty good. I loved the music. Some of the language was a bit rough but unfortunately, that's how it goes these days. We had really good seats - 3rd row center. For me, the only problem with that was I've been extremely tired all day due to not sleeping much last night and being up earlier than usual today so I felt myself nodding off. I was embarrassed, thinking the actors might be able to see me sleeping!


Well, I am tired so I'll call it a night. It's too early for bed but I think I'll just veg in front of the TV and fall asleep there!

God bless,
Linda

1 comment:

Dawn said...

WOW, I did'nt know that Andrew, was having a home built for him. That is great news. I also did'nt know that it was marianne's daughter that was prego!! HOw fantastic. Tell them I said "congrats". Think I'll go to bed. I have to go in to work for a few min tomorrow, for one patient..grrr....=)