Thursday, October 16, 2008

Living Proof

This coming weekend, Lifetime TV is airing the movie "Living Proof" starring Harry Connick, Jr. It is the story about the researcher who developed Herceptin, a drug used with breast cancer patients who are Her2Neu, as I was. Starting with my second go-round of chemotherapy I had to go every three weeks for an IV of Herceptin for a year. Many thanks go out to my dear friend, Lillian, who took me most of those weeks.

The following is what I cut/pasted from the site which tells better than I can what the story is about.

“Living Proof” is the true story of oncologist and researcher Dr. Dennis Slamon, the UCLA doctor who helped develop the breast cancer drug Herceptin, and his effort to keep the drug trials afloat. His inspiring journey shows the sacrifices he makes in his personal life and the obstacles that he faces to get the drug approved. Thousands of lives have been saved because of his dedication. (Based on Robert Bazell’s book “Her-2.”) RenĂ©e Zellweger, Neil Meron and Craig Zadan, and screenwriter Vivienne Radkoff are the executive producers. Check out the "Living Proof" viewers guide.

"Living Proof" premieres Saturday, October 18 at 9 pm/8c on Lifetime as partof the Network’s Stop Breast Cancer for Life campaign. The movie will encore on Sunday, October 19 at 8pm/7c and Monday, October 20 at 9pm/8c.

There are some well known stars, besides Harry Connick, Jr., who are in the movie. I plan to watch it. Probably not on any of these days but I have it set to record since I'll be in TN and most likely I won't get the opportunity while I'm there to see it. But, to be honest, I think I would rather watch it by myself. Just watching the trailer brought back emotions and feelings from that time, which was actually just last year. My last Herceptin was a year ago this month.

I just thank the Lord for people like Dr. Slamon who do the work he does. Without the researchers and even those people who sign up for clinical trials, we would probably not have the medicines and treatments used to fight not just cancers but all kinds of diseases.

No comments: