Sunday, January 11, 2009

Book Review For Thomas Nelson Publishers

A friend told me about the opportunity to read and review books for the Thomas Nelson Publishers and I thought it would be an interesting thing to do.



For my first book I chose Rex a non-fiction book written by Cathleen Lewis, Rex's mother. Rex was born blind and autistic and, it turns out, he is a musical savant.

I actually chose this book because I've always had an interest in reading or hearing about savants. It's fascinating and wondrous to see or hear these remarkable people.

Reading about this remarkable young man and the things he accomplished just reiterated for me the fact that there is potential in everyone, no matter what their mental or physical capabilities may be.

Though it might not have been her intention, this book is about Cathleen Lewis just as much as it is about her son, Rex. This mother has done a great job of caring for and getting the care and teaching Rex needs. She deserves kudos for her love and all the hard work on behalf of her son. I think other mothers in similar situations can get strength and encouragement from reading about her struggles.

This is a wonderful, must read book of love, hope, inspiration, and faith. It shows clearly how God can take what man thinks is impossible and turn it into a world of possibilities.

No comments: