Thursday, September 30, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness

October is the official month for Breast Cancer Awareness.

Are you aware of the signs and symptoms of breast cancer? If not, check out this website, Breastcancer.org, which is an excellent site for information on anything and everything having to do with breast cancer. If there's something you can't find, all you have to do is ask and someone will be able to help.

I am a four year breast cancer survivor. In May 2006 I found a lump which never showed up on the mammo because it was so far under the breast. It was detectable with ultrasound. I had the biopsy in June, followed by a PET scan. At the beginning of August I started six rounds of chemotherapy. In October I had a mastectomy, followed by four more chemo treatments and the beginning of a year of Herceptin treatments which were administered every three weeks. I also had six weeks of radiation. I have about a year and half left of taking Arimidex, which is a pill that is taken daily to fight off any cancer cells that might pop up.

Some women go through a whole lot more than I have and others less. I know of some women who have had to have double mastectomies while others only had a lump removed with no further treatments. Everyone is different. But, no matter it's still a very scary time. Cancer is cancer whether it's a little spot or a great big spot.

If you have never had a breast exam or a mammo, don't delay any longer. Call your doctor today and make an appointment. It could save your life. If you don't know how to do a self-exam, check this link. In my case, this was the only way my breast cancer was found and its the same for lots of women. Fortunately, not all lumps which are found are cancer. The only way to know for sure is further examination and/or testing by a doctor.

I feel very blessed and fortunate to be able to sit here writing this four years later!

No comments: