Monday, March 5, 2012

Chemo Brain or ???

First of all, let me say that I do believe that Chemo Brain is a real condition that can happen if you've had chemotherapy. I've read many stories about people who experience loss of memory, sometimes short term, sometimes longer after undergoing treatment when they were otherwise fine before. When you think about it, it makes sense. You're putting these super duper chemicals in your body which make you lose your hair and can have other side effects, why can't it hurt your brain, too?

It's hard to tell for me since I'm of the age where it's hard to remember my name sometimes!! I've forgotten words that I've been trying to think of or sometimes even names of people I know but then they always eventually come to me. This is a natural thing that happens when you get to a certain age or so they say!

This past week a couple things happened that have me a little concerned. When I told my DD about them, they sounded so hysterical we were laughing til we were almost crying, but the first event really isn't a laughing matter and could have had dire consequences.

I had driven to the local library to get some books for my MIL. I came home, pulled into the garage, shut the door, picked up the books and got out of the car. On my way upstairs I heard a noise but couldn't figure out what it was. I just thought it was the heater my DH uses when he's working in the garage. I went upstairs and went about my business. About three hours later, DH comes home, hands me my keys and asks if I'm trying to kill myself. What? I had left the car running! I had no clue or remembrance of it!

Now this event is rather funny. The next morning one of my friends called me on my cell. We were chatting and I wanted to share something with her from my phone. Well, I looked and looked all over the house for the phone and couldn't find it. I did this for about 10 minutes and then it hit me - I was talking on the phone!! Duh!! I didn't say anything to my friend cause I felt so dumb!

I'm keeping a record of these things in case I need them for the future. DD told me she did some research because I was really concerned about Alzheimer's. She thinks it's more like Chemo Brain. Time will tell. Chemo Brain I can live with. Having Alzheimer's would be very hard.

No comments: