Sunday, August 3, 2008

An Anniversary Worth Remembering

Two years ago today I made my first trip to HUP (Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania) in Philadelphia for an appointment with the oncologist after a diagnosis of breast cancer from a local doctor after having a rather large lump removed and then having a PET Scan.

I can remember so vividly where I was when I got the phone call telling me of my diagnosis after having the Scan. The doctor told me the cancer had metastized to my chest, left arm, neck, liver and lymph nodes. In fact, I still have the notes I took while he was talking to me. Needless to say, I was in a state of shock! The doctor told me I needed to see an onologist. What transpired was amazing!!

My first thought was that I would go to a hospital in Philadelphia because I felt I would get better treatment there. I chose HUP and made my phone call. Initially my first appointment was to be on August 14th, which was about a month away, unless an opening came up sooner.

I had decided to get a second opinion from a breast cancer doctor who is the friend of a friend of mine. He graciously took the time to check my records on his own time while visiting my friend. He suggested I should call HUP and see if I could get in sooner as it was rather serious. As soon as I got home, I called. Lo and behold, the woman I spoke with told me she was just getting ready to call me as they had just had a cancellation for an appointment 4 days later. Did I want it? Well, of course!!!

I have to preface what happened as due to lots and lots of prayers!!!!

On the day of my visit to HUP, my DH and a friend took me. My friend is a nurse which helped later in explaining some things! The first thing my new oncologist did was review my records and was not too hopeful, but scheduled me for a CT Scan. She said she didn't rely too heavily on PET Scans. When I went back the next week after the CT Scan, the doctor had great news!!! The "cancer" in my chest was actually walking pneumonia! As for the rest of the original diagnosis, the only questionable spot was the lymph nodes.

She set up a schedule to begin chemotherapy and thus began a year and a half of chemo, mastectomy, more chemo, and radiation. When I started my second round of chemo, it also included Herceptin, which was every three weeks for a year. Though all that is behind me, I still have to take Arimidex every day for five years.

I'm now just seeing both the oncologist and my radiation oncologist every six months. Everything has been fine and I pray it will continue to be so.

Some people think the original diagnosis after the PET Scan was a terrible mistake. I choose to believe I've received a miracle!! I thank God for His grace and mercy!!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Okay, I sooo did not want to cry tonight! I remember getting the call from you saying that cancer was in all those places, I could not even move, let alone talk. I am so thankfull to the Lord for healing you! I believe it was prayer that took it away from those other places!

Sandy said...

Happy Anniversary, Linda! I am SO glad you're on THIS side of that date, and feeling good and doing so well. Hugs!