Sunday, August 22, 2010

Another Anniversary

Four years! It's been four years! Four years ago today I started my chemo treatments for breast cancer. At that moment I couldn't imagine a year from that date but now it's been four.

Even though it's been awhile, I can still feel the feelings I had that day. My DH and my friend, Gail, went with me. I remember vividly and can picture in my mind's eye the treatment room. It had one of those comfortable reclining chairs but I stayed away from it as long as I could. I looked at it and remember thinking "this is real" and started to cry and said I wanted to go home. They hugged me and Gail prayed.

Then the nurse came in, I sat in the chair, and she prepped me for the treatment. At the beginning of the treatments, there was no problem finding veins but as time went on, it sometimes was a little more difficult. I remember one time specifically. Instead of my usual nurse, who had the touch of a butterfly, another nurse came in to start the treatment. It took her three times and she still could not get a vein. Finally, my friend, Lillian, who was with me, asked for my regular nurse, Mara. By then, of course, I was really upset and crying. It took one try for Mara to find a good vein and get the treatment started.

I thank the Lord for giving me such good nurses and doctors, for such wonderful and loving support from my family and friends - and even strangers. For the most part, I had the "peace that passes understanding" throughout my whole ordeal. Peace that could only come from the Lord.

Thank you, Jesus, for four years of survivalship (if that's a word!!). Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Praise God. I love ya Nana.